Fall is my favorite season!! It starts to get a little chilly (alright this year it’s down right cold!), pumpkin things start appearing everywhere!, the scents are amazing, the colors that pop up everywhere, and it’s almost Christmas!! One thing that I don’t like about fall? The want to constantly be baking. Baking delicious goodies every weekend will not help me fit into my wedding dress in May…I’m just saying! But, after I found this recipe, I seriously couldn’t resist!! Molasses cookies are my all time favorite cookie (molasses, ginger, spice, etc.), and I love all pumpkin things, so this Pumpkin Molasses Cookie is the perfect fall treat!! I was also a good Weight Watchers member and figured out the points value per cookie before baking them, and at 2 ppv a cookie, I figured they weren’t too horrible to have in the apartment, plus I have a few people who have said anytime I bake, I can share the wealth with them, which I plan on doing, because who doesn’t love coming into work on Monday to find some goodies waiting for them at their desk!?
PUMPKIN MOLASSES COOKIES:
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c. sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 c. roasted pumpkin puree (I used regular pumpkin in a can)
- 1/4 c. molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/3 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until it’s nice and fluffy.
- Add the sugar, pumpkin, molasses, and the egg. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until a batter forms. I suggest adding in the flour gradually or you’re going to be standing in a large cloud of flour.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Fill a small bowl with some extra sugar, I used about 1/3 of a cup and almost used all of it!, Roll the dough into about once inch balls and then roll around in the sugar until it’s thoroughly coated. Place on a cookie sheet that is covered in parchment paper. Place the balls of dough an inch or so apart.
- Bake the cookies at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. Let them sit on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before moving the cookies to a wire rack.
This recipe makes almost 4 dozen cookies, depending on how big you make them. And just a warning, the dough is VERY sticky after only an hour of refrigeration. So what I did was used my small Pampered Chef scoop and just plopped the dough into the sugar, shook the bowl a little and then rolled the dough into a ball after it’s been coated by sugar so it wasn’t so sticky. But it may not be as sticky if you refrigerate for longer, so play around with this. But seriously, don’t let the sticky dough stop you from making these, because your whole house will smell like fall, and your taste buds will do a happy dance after you bite into them! They are PERFECT with a cup of coffee (mine just happens to have some Pumpkin Spice creamer in it!) Enjoy!!!!
Recipe Adapted from: http://heedthefeed.com/2011/09/25/pumpkin-molasses-cookies/